Defining your style is often hard, but it can be especially tricky for those who have classic style. There aren’t as many clear identifiers or readily available designer plus size clothing, and often, we’re left scratching our heads wondering what exactly classic style is.
If you’ve ever felt too limited to “dresses for big women” or “plus size office clothes” you’re not alone! We’re here to break down style categories so that you can better describe your style and ask your Dia Stylist for the right pieces for you. To get started, you can define dressing in classic outfits as wearing lots of neutral hues, tried-and-true prints, and silhouettes that work time and time again.
Here’s an example of a Dia Style Box for a customer that defines her style as classic:
To help you get a feel for what classic style is, here are some good rules of thumb.
You probably have classic style if:
- You avoid purchasing trendy pieces that you know will go out of style in the near future.
- Your style could also be described as polished and timeless.
- The jewelry you regularly wear is a hand-me-down that was just as in style when your mother wore it as it is today.
- You appreciate “investment pieces,” that cost more but that prove their value in the long run.
- Quality is always more important to you than quantity when shopping for clothing.
- You prefer tailored items that aren’t too oversized or flowy like women’s plus size blazers.
- When you see a photo of yourself from 10 years ago, you wish you still had the outfit from the photo, and you may still have that same pair of plus size stretch skinny jeans.
You probably don’t have classic style if:
- You often shop at fast fashion stores where you can find the latest trends at a low price.
- You like to be the first one to adopt a new trend.
- When it comes to shopping for clothes, price is most important and quality comes second.
- You point out how you wore that, “before it was cool.”
- Your style has ever been referred to as “flashy,” “eclectic,” or “whimsical.”
- Sometimes you prefer items that are oversized or flowy and other times you prefer shrunken or undersized, depending on today’s trends.
- You can’t help but laugh at what you wore 10 years ago.
Here are some additional ideas for how to capture chic, timeless style in some of our favorite classic outfits.
If you feel like the outfits on this page belong in your wardrobe, let your Dia Stylist know that you’re a classic girl. Plus, don’t forget to update your Style Profile so your stylist knows that classic outfits are a good fit for your lifestyle. Here’s to timeless prints, neutral hues, and knowing when to be bold!
Take the personalized quiz to learn your body shape, and our stylists will help you discover styles you’ll love.
Exclusive designs to fit all shapes in sizes 14-32.